My daughter and I have been binge-watching the Netflix show Sugar Rush, Christmas edition. It’s a fun baking show where the contestants are given a certain amount of time to create sweet treats with a challenge given to them by the judges.
So of course my daughter wants to bake. But here’s the thing. I don’t cook often, I’m not that great in the kitchen, and frankly, I don’t have a lot of time, especially in the month of December.
But….when your 12 year old wants to actually be in the same room as you, you jump on it. Those moments don’t last forever, am I right?!?
We wanted to create a Christmas Snack tray perfect for binge-watching, and any guests that may pop in, but it had to be something on our skill level and not take all day.
We put together 4 delicious snacks that almost look like a fun Christmas snack charcuterie board.
The best part is, we made everything for this easy Christmas snack tray at the same time and all under 90 minutes.
Grab your shopping list below and let’s get busy. I grabbed all my ingredients from the grocery store and picked up green icing, red candy melts, and fun Christmas sprinkles in the cake section at Michaels.
We have to start with our Christmas Tree Brownies. We need to get them in the oven first so they can cook and cool while making the 3 other snacks.
For the brownies just grab your favorite box brownie mix and make it according to the instructions on the box. I used an 11×8 pan, lined with aluminum foil so I could lift it out easily from the pan to cut into triangles.
Don’t forget to spray the aluminum foil or it WILL stick, and nobody wants broken trees!
How to Make Christmas Toffee Crackers
While the brownies are cooking, We will start the Christmas toffee crackers.
Toffee Cracker Ingredients
- Saltine Crackers
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Christmas candies and sprinkles (we used red & green M&M’s)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (if you are making the brownies already, most likely it’s already on!)
2. Line a large flat pan with aluminum foil. Cover the entire bottom of the pan with saltine crackers.
3. Mix brown sugar & butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until it begins to boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
4. Pour on top of crackers.
5. Place pan into the oven for 5 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and quickly sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the crackers and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
7. Quickly spread the chocolate over the crackers with a spatula and add all your toppings while it is still hot. Marshmallows, m&m’s, and sprinkles.
8. Place the pan in the refrigerator for 45 min so the chocolate and toffee can harden.
9. Cut into squares like the crackers and enjoy!
Now that we have our Christmas Toffee Crackers cooling, let’s whip up the Christmas Pretzel Rods. This is super-duper simple and a yummy addition to this easy Christmas snack tray!
How to Make Christmas Pretzel Rods
Pretzel Rod Ingredients
- Rold Gold Pretzel Rods
- Candy Melts (I used red)
- Christmas Sprinkles
1. Line a flat pan or the counter with aluminum foil
2. Melt candy melts in the microwave according to the directions on the bag
3. Dip pretzel rods into the candy melt and lay on aluminum foil, sprinkle immediately with Christmas candies or sprinkles.
4. Save some broken or smaller pieces for our brownie trees
5. Let candy melts harden, you can leave them on the counter, they will harden quickly.
How to Make Christmas Pretzel Hugs
The next snack for our easy Christmas snack tray is almost as easy as the pretzel rods, but a little tedious as we open lots of little chocolates.
This is why it great to have a little helper with you. We raced. I had Rolo’s she had the Hugs and she totally beat me.
I blame it on the fact that she had the little flag to pull at the top of the hershey kisses!
Pretzel Hugs Ingredients
- Mini pretzels (we used Snyder’s Snaps)
- Hershey Hugs or Rolo caramels, or both like we used.
- Red & Green M&Ms
1. Line a flat baking sheet with aluminum foil
2. Layout pretzels to cover the pan
3. Unwrap chocolates and place them on each pretzel
4. Bake at 200 degrees for 5 minutes.
5. Quickly press an M&M on the top of each chocolate working the chocolate into the pretzel.
6. Let them cool in the fridge for 30 minutes
How to Make Christmas Tree Brownies
Whew….you’ve made it through almost all the snacks.
We previously baked our favorite box mix brownies according to the package. (do so now if you haven’t gotten them started) They may need a little more time to cool, depending on how fast you were with the other snacks.
Once they are completely cool and ready, let’s finish off our easy Christmas snack tray!
Christmas Tree Brownie Ingredients
- Brownie Mix (plus ingredients needed on the box)
- Green icing
- Red M&Ms
- Pretzel rods (leftover from the previous snack)
1. Remove the brownies from the pan and cut them into triangles. (see pictures for help with this)
2. Pipe green icing onto each tree
3. Add red M&M to the top
4. Insert pretzel rod to the bottom
5. Add sprinkles if you’d like!
The best part is, they all store nicely in an air-tight container so you can make them ahead of time and be ready for guests that drop in!
The only thing left to do is arrange them on a cute tray and be the hostess with the mostess! I had a blast making these with my daughter and with teenage kids and their friends around, they won’t last long!
PS – I put together a complete shopping list so you can grab everything you need in one trip:
Easy Christmas Snack Tray Shopping List
- Brownie mix (and ingredients to make them)
- Brown Sugar – 1 cup
- 2 sticks of butter
- Saltine Crackers
- Pretzel Rods
- Mini Pretzels or Snaps
- Hershey Hugs or Rolo’s or both
- 12 oz bag of mini chocolate chips
- Mini Marshmallows – 1 cup
- 1 – 10 oz bag of red and green M&Ms
- 1 – 12 oz package of Candy Melts (I used red)
- Various Christmas Sprinkles
- Green Icing